Connecting students to careers is your passion, but getting to this point has its challenges. The traditional framework of finding the ideal path from degree to job has become more complex. Several factors have slowly evolved the process, including what it means to be career-ready, the many ways candidates can pursue opportunities, a skills-driven shift in hiring and more.
So, how will you support the next generation of students? Career services management software that reframes the course for job seekers can solve these issues.
College grads are unsure of the transition from college to career.
Decades ago, people went to college — often without a defined career goal — and then fell into a job that sometimes aligned with their education. The path is no longer this linear, and college students have become disillusioned with the promise that a degree equates to a job that will help them reach their full potential.
In fact, in a survey of recent and upcoming graduates, 66% of respondents said they aren’t optimistic that they’ll get a job that will fit their career goals. Thus, the transition from college to career can be bumpy.
You’ve likely heard the same apprehension and are striving to help your students navigate their struggles.
Students struggle with uncertainty, but you can prepare them early for a straighter career path.
The first job someone begins after college impacts their career. It can either be a great start or a learning experience. As new graduates contemplate what’s next, they often struggle with a few areas:
In-demand jobs are more competitive.
The U.S. job market is growing, and unemployment is low. However, for many in-demand jobs, there is fierce competition. With an influx of new graduates applying on job boards, it’s easy for them to get lost in the mix.
Students are uncertain about their major.
A person’s degree isn’t their full story, and many students feel locked into something that may not pan out. They can gain more certainty that they’re on the right path when they have defined work-life goals.
Students worry about a lack of experience.
Students are concerned they don’t have enough experience for available jobs in their fields, and many new graduates are frustrated by entry-level jobs that require years of previous work! There are ways to connect them with opportunities to gain experience through internships and other ready-for-work programs.
Concerns over having the right skills drive unease.
Skills-based hiring is on the rise, and employers want new hires to have specialized skills that align with the job. They also seek people with transferable skills, which are vital for any type of work, including communication, collaboration, critical thinking, adaptability and other soft skills.
Traditional application and hiring processes exasperate students.
Your students are weary of the entire recruitment process. They’re apprehensive about applying over and over again and never hearing from prospective employers. It’s a grind that they find discouraging and in need of modernization. Just because the process happens online doesn’t mean it’s more effective or efficient.
How can you ease these struggles? Career services management software is key.
What is career services management software?
In addition to job matching, you’ll find a portfolio of solutions to bridge that connection for students from college to career. Here’s how it can resolve those struggles for your students.
Get students over hurdles with candidate services management software.
You know the struggles of your students. Here’s how pepelwerk addresses them:
- Uncertainty with major: Career services management software matches candidates to jobs based on abilities, attributes and attitudes rather than a specific degree. Students don’t have to feel locked down just to one area of study. You can offer students the ability to research and find the job they want with a new approach.
- Little work experience: With a career management platform, students can access certification and training after they connect with an employer. They can further their skills and get a sought-after job when a company sees potential in them. As a result, they can avoid playing the guessing game of whether a career or more education is the right fit.
- Skill gaps: Career services software focuses on skills development through partnerships with businesses. These employers provide insight into the abilities and traits they need, which informs students — and you — what direction to go for skills development.
- A better experience for students, employers and you: pepelwerk doesn’t use resumes or job descriptions. Students develop their profiles, and those hiring create ones for jobs. After the match, the platform streamlines the interview process, allowing job seekers and companies to deliver feedback.
What else can career services management software do?
In addition to the job-matching capabilities, there are more features you’ll appreciate:
- Alignment with your certifications, classes or programs to in-demand jobs to improve placement.
- Delivery and outcomes reporting.
- Attitude, attribute and ability profile building for students.
- Virtual reality career exploration.
- On-demand coaching, mentoring and advising for students.
Our technology delivers solutions that support students in finding a career out of college. It’s revolutionizing how career services approach recruitment, leading to better results for you and your students.
Ready to explore the modern and data-driven way to connect students with jobs? Learn more about our career services solutions today.